The Soloman Brown and beyond

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
The tragedy of the Soloman Browne comes back to me every time I visit Mousehole.I always look for the old lifeboat house when driving past and when walking stop a while by the memorial garden.Its hard to imagine that terrible night although I've seen some very rough weather and very high seas.Penny has always known how I feel about this and arranged for us to visit the current lifeboat in newlyn and the old lifeboat house in Mousehole.The new lifeboat was spectacular and very high tech,,standing up on the bridge you could almost feel the danger that the crew must face on each and every shout especially in bad weather and darkness.It was the visit to the old lifeboat house that was so special though.It is only in the last few years that people have entered the lifeboat house as for many years it was left untouched.The doors opened and I felt that time had stood still,it was a very hushed atmosphere and I felt I was almost holding my breath,on the bench up above the slipway packet soup still lay,our guide opened the doors and let us stand where the Soloman Browne was launched that fateful night explaining how the waves had made it hard to launch the boat,I could imagine it the force of the wind and strength of the sea,the men getting ready for another shout confident as they'd been so many times before of getting the job done,so near to Christmas with families to make it home to but putting there lives on the line for complete strangers.The silence that might have followed the launch the people out on the promenade watching and the final outcome that all had been lost.The atmosphere in that old abandoned building was very powerful and it was an experience that I won't ever forget

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Thanks Cheryl. A very moving story. I had been aware of the tragedy but not that the lifeboat house had been left as it was.

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Up until very recently Greg the lifeboat house had remained untouched,a pair of mans boots stood where they were left that fateful night.It feels as though there spirit is still there though,it's very alive if that makes sense.If you get to Penzance again you might like to visit