NIGEL TANGYE

Bolton Wanderer

Oct 21, 2012
Horwich
We went on a family holiday to Porth in 1983 with the three children,a few years after I had found the Minack Chronicles, after Nigel had sold the Hotel he moved into Glendorgal Lodge a small cottage near the Hotel and after a visit to the market they used to have on the cliff at Porth Nigel used to have a stall selling his own books,I remember buying a couple which Nigel signed and later in the holiday we went to Truro and saw him in the city centre,he must have been late seventies then and his wife Moira was a lot younger.

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
What did you think of his books John? I got one from the library to try and found it a very different style to Derek's.

Linda will correct me if I'm wrong but I think it must be their son Harry that's a current trustee.

Bolton Wanderer

Oct 21, 2012
Horwich
I have got a couple of his books Penny,to be honest not impressed at all.They are in the bookcase signed by him . He was very nice ,very charming and a ladies man ,I told him I had discovered Derek but he was more interested in talking to Gill when I bought the books off him.Very well spoken more so than Derek who also spoke well.Here in Bolton we all sound like Peter Kay!!!

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
Correct Penny! Harry is a current Trustee and he is really lovely to chat with even though it was via Facebook!
Moira is still alive and still a Trustee to my knowledge
I managed to acquire some rather nice mag photos of Glendorgal and havent even look ed at them yet... will post them on here when I do...
You might recall that Penny posted some great pics of Glendorgal after a trip to Cornwall and I went a couple of years back and was amazed at how holiday apartments have grown up all around it. I have a friend Janet who lives further up the coast and she was actively involved in protesting the development some years ago now. Such a shame... a beautiful setting for growing up in and shows how fortunate Derek and his brothers really were.

Bolton Wanderer

Oct 21, 2012
Horwich
On one of our last visits to Cornwall about 7 years ago we could not believe planning had allowed those little holiday chalet type buildings around Glendorgal I agree Linda ,Derek was lucky growing up in such a beautiful place !!

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
When you look across from Porth Island it looks very congested, surrounded by a housing estate. It must be a far cry from when Derek was a boy.