YOUR Minack

Bolton Wanderer

Oct 21, 2012
Horwich
We all know Linda has found her own Minack with her animals having Scottish accents,but have you found your own Minack .I still dream of a life in Cornwall near the sea with all my pets but may have to settle a little closer to Bolton to a place called Heysham which is our Minack and about 50 miles away and adjoins Morecambe on the North West Coastline.My wifes M/S stops us moving to Cornwall if I got knocked over by a bus Gill would need full time support and it would not be fair on the kids,so we will see what pans out in the next couple of years

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
My Minack will be where I am. it is unlikely we could move to a quiet coastal area due to a number of factors. But we are in a semi rural area and there is a nice quiet hidden spot in a local nature park where I can sit and enjoy the solitude and the passing birds. :)

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
I live in a city and in a small back to front house with a tiny kitchen. Anytime I complain I think of Jeannie in her tiny Minack kichen so I then soldier on and cope! The garden has a tiny wooded area which the birds adore but they don't adore the countless cats that visit although I love to see both birds and cats. I guess at the moment my Minack is here and if there is another then they will be.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
Derek always said teh books would help people find their Minack and even a small flat in a large city cold be a Minack...a small tub on a window sill where you enjoy the flowers grown or watch birds feed...or simply reading teh books and feeling like you are travelling to Minack and being there in your mind's eye is just as important....
I know Heysham and it is a lovely place, I know where Gill lives and that is a beautiful city. No I dont know where Greg lives but I can wander there with the aid of Google maps and find that it has trees in the roadways and many shrubs and plants in gardens and parks that are meant for people to enjoy and find a small haven they cat sit a while and think..a bit like sitting on Ambrose Rock.... no matter where we are..its whats in our mind that counts for more than were we are..... even now I often which I was back in a town for convenience of many things.... it is only some of the time that I sit outside and really gain the pleasure from where I am... storms and rain, high winds, snow and ice can make living in your own Minack a tiring and troublesome thing...and when your read Derek's books and read between the lines he too had many a time he worried so and felt the force of nature. Like him I wouldnt change it...for those special times when all is at peace and you can sit and be still. I just wanted you to know that it isnt always idyllic and peaceful (but I am grateful I have had the chance and opportunity) :) :)

Bolton Wanderer

Oct 21, 2012
Horwich
Everyone on here seems pretty content with what they have got,I feel very lucky to have good health and as I sit here with Susie and Millie (daughters dog on hols here) life is good,we read the books and although it often seemed perfect they must have had many worries that Derek didnt put in the books.

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
It was what is inside as anywhere can be a beautiful place if the mindset is right. I find many special places on my wanders we just have to look around. It is good to read that we all seem pretty content!