Indian Summer

Bolton Wanderer

Oct 21, 2012
Horwich
I hope you are all enjoying the weather we are having here in the North West,its been hitting 20 c all week we are back having breakfast on the patio I only work part time now so its been great getting some warm weather before Winter hits us.I had a lazy day today read a few chapters of A Cornish Summer with a cold beer life is good !!!!!

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
It certainly is a treat to have the lovely sunny warm weather at the moment. Wouldn't it be lovely to live in a mild climate all year round it's very tempting to escape to warmer places! But then not to see the magic of snow or frosty mornings would be a big miss.

Gilly

Feb 3, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
We have been spoilt this week, haven't we? :D Yesterday was a scorcher here in Northumberland :cool: I think we're in for another four days of sunny weather (according to the 5-day BBC forecast on my computer) before the odd showery day arrives from Tuesday. But, you never know, it could all change and stay sunny by then.

I'm glad it's sunny and dry because I've got a load of tidying to do on the allotment and am going to do one bed a day so as not to tire myself out. I also have a few bulbs to plant in containers and strawberry runners to finish potting up. Hopefully by Tuesday everything will be done :eek: It helps that I'm off work today and then Saturday, Sunday & Monday are just 'newspaper shifts' as I call them - 6am until 9am - and I'm then free for the rest of the day.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
its been so unexpected!! and so welcome!
With having such a wet summer I wasnt able to get out and start spraying teh rushes which are nearly overtaking the land...so for last few days have been backpacking with my sprayer and starting to tackle the edges... one evening I went a bit late as sun was setting...and the midges!!! I came back with loads of wheals from being bitten and my right eye was nearly closed! :) :)

But its been just lovely!!

However this last couple of days the fog has come with it and ferries have stopped! :) SO am going food shopping this afternoon hoping that there might have been one ferry today bringing with it milk and bread! :)

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Hold on to that warm weather over there!!!:) It will be 30c to 31c over the next few days here. About 4c above average for this time of year!! But then drops back to 18c to 19c for a few days.

Gilly

Feb 3, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
It was 31c in my polytunnel this afternoon :eek: I didn't stay in there long, I can tell you!!! I spent around 3 hours doing one bed and then a few strawberries and didn't realise just HOW strong the sun was until I got home, had a shower to cool down and Neil commented on my 'rosy glow' :eek: Back tomorrow to do the second bed but this time I'll remember my sun cream!!! :rolleyes:

Hope those midge bites aren't too bad Linda. Neil used to work in Oban years ago and he's often told me about the famous biting midges and how bad they are! I've never encountered them as the last time I was in Scotland was in the first week of March in 2003 when we stayed overnight in Edinburgh then travelled up to Oban and then Fort William!

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
Another glorious weekend which much done in the garden. But today wet and dull and the forecast is similar to that of today's. So we may have our late summer but thank you summer for spending a little longer with us!

Be careful of those midges Linda hopefully they have all disappeared today.

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
It's been really lovely weather of late but it's quite a bit colder here in kent today,some sunshine but not much warmth in it.We have been lucky with the weather so far though and it's been said that we are going to have a mild winter

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
That is good news Cheryl as I had heard a month or so ago that we were going to have a very cold winter with snow as early as late October! I think the no refer the forecast you have heard than mine!

We are now well into autumn with cooler dull weather but we cannot complain at the beautiful weather we all enjoyed this past while. :)

Gilly

Feb 3, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
There was a definite frosty nip in the air at 5.45am this morning as I walked to work and a few customers who were in around 7am said it was slightly frosty in places. Yet by 10am it was a beautiful warm day once more and only started to chill down again around 5pm.

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
A real damp dull Autumn day and a day for staying inside. I ventured out though later in the afternoon and realised it wasn't as cold as I thought so I turned the heating off!!

Gilly

Feb 3, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
It's a chilly 9c here this morning and SO overcast and dark. Supposed to stay dry for the next few days though so I'll get the allotment ~ hopefully ~ finished off. I did the early shift at work today *5.30am- 8.30am* and am now free for a whole week off :D

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
I suppose now we need to say goodbye to our Indian summer. Such a drastic change today wet dull and much cooler. Bye bye summer till next year. :)

Hope you are enjoying your week off Gilly!

Gilly

Feb 3, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
I have enjoyed it and it's felt like a lot longer than just one week! I spent the first four days pottering on the allotment and getting loads done and then Wednesday - Friday with Neil on his days off. Off tomorrow then only doing 6am - 9am on Monday, off Tuesday and back properly on Wednesday morning.

The weather hasn't been too bad either and was pleasantly cool on Sunday & Monday when I was digging which suited me perfectly as hot weather drains me :( We've only had a couple of days when there's been a bit of rain and this has soon passed. I don't mind it when it's wet because that is when I catch up with writing letters ;)

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
It's been very autumnal in kent with a few warm spells here and there,keep hoping that we will get a few more sunny days before winter sets in properly.I can't get used to it being dark so early,feels like it's bed time when it's only early evening not great

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
November 1st and what a beautiful still sunny and pleasantly warm autumn day. I believe the week ahead is to be mild and dry. What a joy this lovely weather is!

Gilly

Feb 3, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
Sunday WAS a lovely day up here too and it was 20c in my polytunnel as I tidied up the last of the tomatoes and gave the tunnel a good clear out for winter :cool: I'm not growing any crops in there over the colder months as I want to concentrate on working on the outside jobs like paths and raised beds. Instead the tunnel will be used to shelter my terracotta pots from frost, young flowers (hollyhock, wallflower, dianthus and aubtieta) and other less hardy stuff.

Yesterday started off foggy but by 9am it had cleared and it was a beautiful morning and early afternoon with blue skies and not a cloud in the sky. I got home from work at 1.45pm in hot sun but by 3pm the fog had rolled in from the coast. Much the same happened today ~ foggy early on, sunny by 8am then by 2pm, as I left the allotment, THIS *see below* was the gorgeous Northumberland view I had :D A much chillier 7c today.

3rd november 2015 015.jpg

3rd november 2015 014.jpg

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
A week of dull dismal but mild weather. A peak of the sun yesterday but that was all it was!
The firework display at Norwich castle we can view from our kitchen window. It was quite as eerie affair as it was a misty still night and the glow from the fireworks lingered in the sky. Most enjoyable to watch though in the comfort of being indoors! :)

Gilly

Feb 3, 2013
Alnwick, Northumberland
Lots of rain yesterday (typically started when I was out walking at Boulmer beach and miles from the car :p ) but today has been sunny at times....but with an EXTREMELY strong wind! It's supposed to be wet and windy today but, so far, we've only got the wind.

A day to stay inside and catch upon ironing, writing letters and, tonight, Downton Abbey :D