Weather

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Hi folks

How has the weather in your part of the world? We haven't had it too cold so far this winter. Maximum temperatures ranging from 10 to 17c. Mainly 13 or 14c. Overnight getting down to 0 to 7c. Still the coldest months to go yet.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
those temperatures are not far off what we have been experiencing in Scotland as our Summer temp!
Well we have had a few days higher than that but on the whole the weather has been quite strange and more like Autumn...wet, windy

:)

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Very odd weather here too in the south east of England, in fact the past 2 weeks have been very similar; quite cloudy weekends with temperatures of 18C, Monday and Tuesday cloudy and cool with a strong north easterly wind, Wednesday milder but cloudy then Thursday hot and sunny up to 25C. By Friday it's been humid and hot, we had thunder and some rain last Friday evening but not much. This weekend has been cloudy and quite muggy.

I'm just watching the weather forecast and so far this month average temperatures have been down by 1C but we've only had 3% of the average rainfall. This coming week is forecast to be sunnier and warmer (hopefully).

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Not really a great summer so far but hoping it might heat up and stay hot,would love a nice hot summer even if it's followed by a proper British winter at least then there's a marked difference in the seasons,not keen on the way the weather seems out of kilter with the seasons

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Our first frosty morning today. The water in the bird bath had a thin layer of ice on it. I expect we will get a few more as we get into the coldest months.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
there was some frost in the northern parts of Scotland during the week!

Just seems unimaginable that you can get cold enough for ice and frost Greg...but guess thats me thinking that Australia is always warm. An old school friend of mine in Australia posted some pics of snow the other month....

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Linda this time of year you can have a snow skiing holiday in the South Eastern Alps and then head to Northern Australia the next week and lie on the beach and swim. The next week here warms a bit. Overnight lows of 8 to 10 so no frosts and daily maximums of 15.

Last edited:

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
amazing!...I really should read up about Australia... you have everything there! European Alps/Mediterranean/US Mountains/Beautiful seas of around the world/Modern cities/picturesque countryside and all in one!!

its only 15 here today! and this is now mid summer!..... something isnt right....there are thunderous clouds all around but dont think it will rain...its meant to warmer tomorrow up to around 18 degrees 'phew' I shall bake :) (not) am on mainland tomorrow meeting my nephew in Edinburgh and wondering if I shall get home on Wednesday as planned as Calmac -our ferry service is planning no overtime Wed and Thurs culminating in a strike on Friday...

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Rain here this morning and it felt quite damp and chilly, definitely not flaming June :) but the sun has come out now and it feels quite warm. It's been a very dry month and we desperately needed some rain. The forecast for the rest of this week is looking promising with temperatures up to 25C and the long range forecast is (at the moment) looking hopeful into early July.

Linda, how can Calmac be allowed to strike when it's your only means of getting off the island?

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Would you believe it Greg, it's much the same here! Sunny spells but a chilly wind, warm in the sun though. It's meant to be warmer over the next few days, maybe up to 25C and quite humid. We had some rain yesterday which was welcome because it's been a dry month.

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
I am totally in disbelief at out "summer" it just so cold today I would think the temperature hasn't risen above 14 degrees! We are promised 22 degrees tomorrow! How can that be when it has been miserably cold today. But I live I in hope the forecasters are right.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
have you all seen the heatwave that has hit Pakistan....people are dying from it..dreadful...

I said to Jeff the weather is strange right across the world...his answer climate change! but a natural climate change not induced by us!

re Calmac Penny...they just can!...I got back today ok ..the last ferry is cancelle3d as that crosses the overtime...if not enough staff in tomorrow ferries wont sail as its an overtime ban today and tom orrow and then full scale strike on Friday...if someone was desparately ill the NHS would get them over to mainland via helicopter....other than that no post, no food transported and holiday starts here for schools on friday so no tourists...loss of business to may island businesses... but I can understand them the Calmac staff as the tendering process and changes to contracts means they may be about to lose their jobs...they do 12 hour shifts and can often be delayed getting home or have to stay on the boat overnight and its still a risky business being on a boat ..its still possible for it to sink! So am not angry with them....and thankful I got back today although it did change my plans a bit. The hiccup will come as it all starts back on Saturday and all teh delays will bring a backlog which will take about a week to sort out...although today there was only about a dozen vehicles as most people changed their plans and havent traveled either on or off islands

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
After a couple of cloudy days it's been a much brighter day today and very hot in the sun this afternoon. I've just been out and watered the garden and it's quite muggy.

You can see why they called the strike for this week, Linda. With the school holidays starting and the effect on tourism, that puts them in quite a strong negotiating position. It doesn't make it any easier for people needing to travel though does it?

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Heatwave being forecast here next week with the possibility of temperatures reaching 35C!! :cool: Let's wait and see, the last two forecast heatwaves fizzled out into nothing!

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
thank goodness that the no 1 court has teh roof to keep them cool but the rest will suffer...seated crowd will find it too hot if it is like that...am looking forward to Wimbledon

exactly why it was timed then Penny! But I managed to get back yesterday as only the last boat was cancelled. I suspect many parents will have taken kids out of school early and stay over on mainland till their flights. It was pretty empty yesterday so many must have cancelled their trips..

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Very warm and humid here today and, if the forecast is right, it could get up to 30C+ during this coming week, far too hot for me.

My poor grass is rapidly turning yellow but it's been a good year for strawberries and the runner beans are coming along nicely. I've been harvesting lettuce this past week too.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
ha!!...overcast and rain here and right now its cloudy and threatening rain!

I dont actually wish for heat but a little summer would be gladly received!

Lovely to have produce from your own garden. I keep meaning to get sorted to grow toms in our sunroom but cant find any gro bags etc not on island and dont have enough time in a mainland run to go to a garden centre or B&Q.... but will still try as the heat in there is still hot enough for months to come yet...