Lamorna Cove and trip advisor

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Cheryl and I have both said as much as we love it, we couldn't live there. Far too cliquey and wanting to know all your business.

It's far easier to criticise and find fault than do something practical to help isn't it? But then, from what I saw before they closed that Facebook group off, the membership is mainly people that don't live there so what can they offer? As we both know, that's the trouble with some of these groups on social media, they are just another stick to beat someone with; half these people wouldn't say it to the person's face. And it's easy to sit in judgement and follow the herd.

That, I feel, is the negative side to sites like Facebook and TA. They allow people to say things from the safety of their computer screen. If you feel as strongly about the cove as some of the posts on TA suggest, why not speak to the owner rather than criticise from a distance? The answer to that is probably that most of these people aren't that brave.

Last edited:

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Do you know this is all getting laughable,Lamorna coves getting a bad reputation and it's one or two incomers who seem to consider themselves more Cornish than the actual Cornish who are doing it.One could almost believe that they don't want us summer visitors in there valley.It really is a pity that some of these people don't engage there brain and except false flattery for what it is and see the wood for the trees.Ive no time for two faced so called charmers or those that falsly claim an intimacy with Lamorna that they certainly don't have.As for the Lamorna restoration society and it's endeavours,well that really is a joke,most on this are society joiners and certainly not local people,there understanding of the cost to restore Lamorna cove must be rather limited,as for a museum I can only suppose that they must all live in cloud cuckoo land.Lamorna Cove is the same lovely little cove that it always was to anyone visiting I can only say make up your own mind and don't be led by the little clique who would tell you otherwise,can't you just hear the sheep bleating

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
That's just it John but some seem to think they can do whatever they like and then justify it by trying to ruin the coves reputation,pity they don't stay away and leave everyone else to enjoy it

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Very true Gill,we are in Lamorna at the moment and as one of the main trouble makers has gone home and the other is banned from the cove the atmosphere is trouble free and very pleasant.There are still a couple of would be rebels still around but having lost there cause all seems good.I wouldn't be getting involved in arguments or gossip anyway because I'm not local and it wouldn't be my place.I shall just enjoy Lamorna as I've always done

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Correct me if wrong but I can't remember Derek making many if at all references to Lamorna cove in the Minack Chronicles? All this talk about a museum down I'm the cove must surely be aimed at the work of the Lamorna artists or indeed the historical aspects of Lamorna Cove ie the quarry.Sorry I must correct myself because I've suddenly rembered that he did refer to it in A Gull on the Roof and the Wink is mentioned from to
Time and he also mentions Daniels place,There's veryittle though about the actual cove itself.The Morabb library holds most of the items that are not held in private ownership.Im not very sure what the Lamorna Cpve restoration society are hoping to achieve,however I wish them luck in trying to restore the jetty as I believe a £2000 000 figure was mentioned.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
my curiosity has got the better of me whose the one thats gone home??

Have you looked at the Lamorna Rest page ..not a lot goes on anyway..sort of reminds me ;)

I dont know why they dont pool their resources as in way of help and help raise funds etc with Roy..working together..its in their interests as the road is his and if it isnt repaired either how will any of them get up and down or in and out..it wuold be so much nicer for a 'community' to be doing that than bickering.

Museum? they must mean themselves...there was talk many years ago because of all the links to Birch etc...

you're right Cheryl there were few references to Lamorna Cove... there were some but not a great deal..things to do with Hotel/donkeys/people staying there to come and see him and Jeannie/who owns the cove and history along that lines......but not much else....

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
The trouble makers returned home to a country in the northern hemisphere and is the soul mate of another person who lives locally and is not much better think you know him but maybe not all that well.The Lamorna restoration page is not available to me as I'm not on face book but I believe people that we have both had the misfortune to know belong to it,you know the sort professional forum goers

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Think the female you mention is part of that group along with all her cronies,sounds about right doesn't it

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
We had a lovely afternoon down in the cove last week. It was a beautiful sunny day, there were people on the beach, children building sandcastles and paddling and 2 guys in paddle boats. Just as it should be.

As Cheryl and I were paddling, I remarked to her that anyone that couldn't see how beautiful it was really shouldn't go there and that the only ugliness is emanating from the negativity promulgated by those intent on causing trouble and the hangers on that don't even live there, let alone visit :)

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Amazing. The cove can be nice and calm for paddling and at other times a raging ocean that destroys the harbour walls!

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
I'm really pleased that the sands back again in the wonderful hot summer of 2013 it was nice to see families enjoying the beach,in the evenings we would watch the divers.That afternoon that we spent at the cove reminded me of that time and it was good to see children enjoying the cove again,it must have been busy because the little shop ran out of ice cream,don't think they were expecting to be so busy before the children's summer holidays start.Its a good indication that the popularity of Lamorna hasn't suffered even with the unfair views that have been on trip advisor

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
have you thought of using an alias? :)

I laughed at that Greg...so true..you cant imagine paddling when the sea rages like that! :)

Have you had their ice cream Cheryl? I like the ice cream from Jelberts in Newlyn...

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
I seem to remember Cheryl (accidentally) paddling in the cove one winter when the sea crashed over the wall unexpectedly! :)

We had an ice cream from the new shop last week, it's Kelly's ice cream and the sea salted caramel is absolutely gorgeous.

It seems to be a closed group Linda and only those joining can see what's being said which, looking at some of the people on there is likely to be uninformed opinions so I'm probably better off not seeing it, not that I'd join anyway :)