Lamorna Cove and trip advisor

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Has anyone noticed the absolute rubbish about Lamorna Cove that's made it's way onto trip advisor about Lamorna cove? Chit chat about local disputes which I would have thought was a personal issue,verbally abusing the current owner and other such trash ,could this be because two people not a million miles away have recently been banned from the cove and areas belonging to the estate

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
It was me that told Cheryl about the posts on Trip Advisor. Whatever people think about the owner of the cove, does anyone really have the right to question what he does with his land and refer to him as 'a rotten kettle of fish'? I can't understand Trip Advisor allowing these posts because they do have an abusive tone.

There are always two sides to every story aren't there and in respect of local disputes in the cove, how can holidaymakers make a fair comment without being in full possession of the facts? Unfortunately, and as I have found in the past, there are always people that are happy to judge and say things from the safe distance of a computer screen which they would in all likelihood never say to the person's face.

Last edited:

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
dont know if you heard the news more recently that apparently comments on Trip Advisor can now be deleted by TA and that some people have actually sued or some other similar action where such abuse has taken place and not necessarily comments that are strong but simply say they didnt like..

Jeff has reminded me of the story.... briefly it was a couple who stayed in a hotel in Blackpool. A small print in contract stated that anyone making a comment about the hotel in TA would be fined. The couple made a comment that it was not clean and not pleasant stay and the hotel backcharged them £100 on their credit card. After the couple went to papers the hotel reimbursed them.

Yes TA is very useful to know whether to stay somewhere etc and you shouldnt be at peril of making such comments after all they are your opinion not TA's. Unfortunately people often believe everything they hear instead of asking their own questions and forming an opinion.

difficult one eh?

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
One would hope Trip Adviser would publish unbiased opinions as a lot of people rely on their advice and take it as gospel.

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Yes TA is very useful to know whether to stay somewhere etc and you shouldnt be at peril of making such comments after all they are your opinion not TA's. Unfortunately people often believe everything they hear instead of asking their own questions an
I remember that story being on the news Linda. Unfortunately, it does seem as if people that have been told one side of the story about what's going on in the cove and are using TA to air their own (uninformed) opinion. I have spotted a review on there by someone that I know hardly ever visits Lamorna and has perhaps just been asked to post a review in support. To me, that's not what TA is there for. As Gill rightly says it should be about unbiased opinion. In this instance, it's being used as a forum for personal grievances and people are being drawn in when they haven't a clue as to what's really going on.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
The thing with TA is that its not about what TA thinks its about individuals views. I see the owner has commented back on some of the views.

I saw one which made me laugh

'I went for a walk down by the cove and when I came back the parking inspector handed me a ticket for not paying for parking. I got the bleeding bus! I don't even own a car! '

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Search for Lamorna Cove car parking on You Tube and have a look at the video posted showing the abuse that the car park attendant has to put up with. Whatever the rights and wrongs of their parking enforcement policy, no one should have to put up with that level of abuse and threat of physical violence.

We popped down to the cove this morning and paid to park, as you should. But I saw 2 or 3 cars come in and park without buying a ticket. Knowing that they operate a very strict parking enforcement regime, these people only have themselves to blame if they get a ticket.

On the more recent posts on TA, I have now reported one as suspicious. Having seen 'the wall' which is in actual fact a barrier comprising 7 breeze blocks, I have serious doubts that the reviewer has actually seen it when he describes it as spoiling the view of the cove. Maybe if you were laying in the road (hahaha). You and I both know of this person Linda and we would also know that he rarely goes to Lamorna so it's clearly a put up job. Hopefully TA will remove it.

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
I found it quite funny when I actually saw the wall,thought it would be at least a few feet high instead of this poor little heap of blocks resembling broken teeth

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
This is 'the wall' so you can all see it for yourselves :) How anyone can post on TripAdvisor that it spoils the view of the cove is totally beyond me.

DSC_0217.jpg

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
No it's not is it,think se of the folk are really just taking sides and don'tike Roy because he's quite blunt,I found him to be ok though and think his hearts in the right place, he just doesn't like people taking the p out of him

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
The occupier of the house has put a sign up which says 'The owner of Lamorna Cove put this wall up....not me'. We saw a few people walking down the cove hill and stopping to read it which of course gives him the attention he craves and anyone reading it the ability to draw a conclusion without being in possession of all the facts such as why the wall has been erected!

What these people don't realise is that the cove is private land and the owner could close it off at any time. Like Cheryl, I think he's ok, he takes his responsibilities towards visitors seriously. Ultimately, it's his land and if you buy a house on private land you can't expect to rule the roost and do as you wish can you?

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
So is Steve's house leasehold then..... not freehold? or is this about the parking area he has marked out and has he gone over onto Roy's land? It seems to be escalating into something really quite awful for such a small place....

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Yes Linda, it does seem to be getting out of hand and Roy is a bit of an easy target for some of the residents given all the negative publicity that he gets as the cove owner. This has just added to that with people weighing in with uninformed opinions.

To me, it seems a bit dangerous putting a parking space on that hill. Either way, you'd end up backing in or out, that must be quite risky with cars coming round that last bend or up the hill out of the cove. An accident waiting to happen maybe.

Last edited:

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
yes must admit I thought that..

..I really enjoyed sitting under that new seating area at the cafe....it was a bit wet at the time and windy and it was so nice to sit and watch the Cove....no-one else was around even better...not sure I would feel the same in Summer...but nice addition.

I saw the terracing climbing ever higher and higher behind Steve's place...and felt giddy at the thought of climbing up there not sure for what purpose as it seems you get as good a view of the cove wherever...its nearly vertical at the back!

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
That terrace was quite badly damaged during the storms that damaged the jetty Linda. I think Cheryl and Barry stood under there one night watching the waves.

I personally feel that the house has been made too big and I agree, I can't see the point of that near vertical terracing. Surely all that digging around is a bit dodgy especially as it's built under that cliff? It makes me wonder why the current owner would buy a traditional property in such an idyllic spot to turn it into something quite ostentatious and out of place. I remember the original house, much more in keeping with its setting.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
I found an old picture I took of a stormy night down there when there was nowhere to 'hide' :)...and I think I stood near the cafe wall with a friends Leica camera!! and it got wet with all the spray from huge waves !

Did you see that car parked right on the end? its been abandoned hasnt it? looked inside it and there was a brolly, a picnic basket.... why abandon a car there??

I agree taking away spoil/plants that re holding that together could be asking for trouble..someone did it up in Lochranza here and cleared the shrubbery and trees and next thing was a landslide!!

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
That car belongs to one of the parking attendants who sadly, recently had a stroke. It was there last week but it's got one of the cove parking permits in the windscreen.

Funny you should think it was abandoned though Linda because one of the troublemakers recently reported it as being abandoned. They didn't think that as it's private land the council couldn't do anything (if it had actually been abandoned that is)

Do you remember that the original wall outside the property in question had collapsed in the spring of 2013? That's why the new terraced wall was put up.

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
There's a lot difficult issues going on in Lamorna at the moment and I believe that people are taking sides without really thinking about it.too much gossip especially on media sites will give the cove a bad reputation and put people off visiting which would be a shame.It would appear to be incomers who have the most to say about things that really don't concern them, the cove is privately owned and they maybe need to consider that

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
I thought it was abandoned because all the tyres are flat and its rusted to hell and simply looks abandoned :) ... thats very sad about the owner hope they are ok now?

afraid I dont remember the original wall collapsing ...... which terrace wall are you referring to??sorry... the wall for the car park are that Mr G has put up :)