New series of Poldark

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
There's a new series of Poldark starting on BBC1 on Sunday 8 March. It's been filmed in Cornwall, at Porthgwarra, out on the old mining coast at Botallack and in the historic harbour of Charlestown.

Greg, let's hope you get to see this later this year.

Last edited:

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
I shall be watching for the beautiful scenery. They are posting a lot of promotional photos on Facebook and the scenery is (as you'd expect) stunning.

Good to see that they used a local photographer too.

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
I'm going to give it a try,I didn't watch the last one because I didn't like the actor who played Ross Poldark,not manly enough for the part I felt.I always get an age fixed in my mind of what the character should look like and am often completely wrong,happy to say that Luther fitted the bill totally.Have tried to watch Downton Abbey as I was a big fan of the original upstairs downstairs but just can't get into it although I know that it's very popular and the period costumes are lovely.Im getting into Wulf Hall though although it's not as good as the White Queen which I really did enjoy

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
I'm going to give this series a try, to be honest I don't remember too much about the original series although I did watch a few repeats a couple of years ago.

I have just seen the trailer on BBC1 and it looks as if it could be quite good but we shall see. I really didn't like the recent tv adaptation of Jamaica Inn so hopefully this will be better.

tarn

Oct 15, 2012
Staffordshire Peak District
We had a holiday last June staying at Botallack and were unaware about the filming of Poldark until we stumbled on it one day, we then visited the set everyday first and last thing at night, it was a lovely experience and the weather was hot and sunny all day every day. I took some great photos so I will post some later. That week we also watched the sundown on the longest day: Summer Solstice standing in the sea on Sennen Beach, happy memories.

Linda

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 8, 2012
Scotland
minack.info
oh! how delightful Tarn to be able to see the set and feel part of it in a way!

Sennen Beach is just fabulous for the sunsets isnt it...I know when I met up with Penny and Cheryl and we walked and paddled along the beach it was great.....look forward to the pics! even more memorable as you say being summer solstice...

Cheryl. I didnt think I would like it but think it was because of the costumes and scenery that I did and the way they did it was close to how life 'below stairs' was like, for me having worked on an estate it also brought home many things I had puzzled about during my time there and so it was very enlightening about life in those times.

Have only watched one of Wolf Hall...and quite enjoyed it ..keep meaning to watch another via repeats ...

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
Yes I shall also be watching Poldark although I have missed the series in the past. Wolf Hall has been so good with the acting of Mark Rylance as Thomas Cromwell just wonderful.
Hopefully Hilary Mantel will continue the story of Thomas Cromwell by writing a new book.

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
Yes I'm enjoying wolf hall too Gill,I also watched Jamacia Inn but thought that the sound was bad so it was a bit difficult to follow.Did you watch the White Queen? I thought that was very good,I've read the book as well which is equally good

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
I've just seen who is playing Ross Poldark and I do approve,it's Aidan Turner from being human and he is definately great for the part.I shall be watching the new series

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
No Cheryl unfortunately I missed the White Queen! I have the book though but have not read it yet. Also have The Red Queen by Phillipa Gregory. Not read that one either as yet.

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
I can't remember who it was by but I loved the book set around North cornwall I think it was called Avalon

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Here you go Gill http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/anya-seton/

Cheryl and I have read most of these but quite a while ago now. I do remember Avalon and Katherine being very good.

Hopefully you can get them from eBay, as I just did a quick search and found lots listed. There's also some available at our library so hopefully you'll be able to pick them up one way or the other.

Last edited:

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
Thank you Penny. I really don't think I have seen Anya Seton books on my travels but I shall certainly be looking out for them.

tarn

Oct 15, 2012
Staffordshire Peak District
I thought last nights episode was excellent, the only thing is I had to keep rewinding it to spot all the landmarks! The scenes at the mine are just as I thought they would be: spectacular scenery and the sun set in the sky each night which they took advantage of, as often they filmed until 9.00pm. We said that what will make this series special is the wonderful weather as it was quite hot the 10 days were there every day and some days they filmed for 12 hours. Looking forward to the next 7 weeks and will be recording the series. Me thinks that this could bring a new army of fans to Cornwall?

Cheryl

Oct 14, 2012
Kent
I agree Tarn,did you see Aiden Turner when you were at Bottalick,I thought he made a great Ross Poldark.Off to Cornwall in the morning so I might take a walk out by the mines