An aerial tour of Cornwall

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Excellent Penny. I watched most of it trying to recognise locations before I realised in the bottom left hand corner it gave the place names :) I don't think Lamorna Cove was there.:confused: I used the pause button to dwell on a scene for awhile to get a better examination.

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Greg, I did exactly the same thing before I too realised that the place names were shown.

Sadly no views of Lamorna but a lovely view of Penzance and Mounts Bay.

Jenny, did you spot Porthleven?

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Nice Penny. Brought back memories. Also memories of those narrow roads you have over there!! I drove in Cornwall and had my heart in my mouth a few times. Will I get past!!.:) Like the soundtrack. When we went in May 2013 there was not another car in the carpark!!

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
Greg, when we go down to Cornwall in January we'll be staying in the cove itself and.... we'll be taking a trailer! Imagine getting a car and a trailer down that road and up the hill out of the cove! :eek: Thank goodness it'll be really quiet and not like it is in summer.

I shall have a look on YouTube and see what other video clips I can find.

GillB

Oct 18, 2012
Norwich
Great Penny I have enjoyed the road to Lamorna Cove at last! I wanted to slow the car down though so I could look all around on the way!!! :)

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
The valley road is beautiful whatever the time of year. There are houses and cottages in places, some alongside the road, some tucked higher up and others right down beside the stream.

In winter, there are early daffodils in the hedgerows, by spring there's masses of them and, looking up the eastern side of the valley there are old daffodil meadows literally ablaze with shades of yellows, creams and white. The bluebells follow, carpets of blue underneath the canopy of trees. In summer, there are flowers everywhere including hydrangea and the bright orange mombretia.

Even now, as we head into October summer will be lingering on. As winter approaches the landscape will still be green and the one constant is the sound of the stream as it rushes down the valley towards the cove and out into the sea.

Turning the final corner and the cove comes into view....still magical even though it looks a bit battered.

Nature at its best.

Penny

Oct 13, 2012
Gravesend, Kent
I don't know if anyone else ever watches the tv programme Antiques Road Trip but todays edition is from Cornwall starting in St Buryan.

They've also been to St Just and mention was made of Elephant Bill Williams who used to live at Menwinnion in the Lamorna Valley and was a friend of Derek and Jeannie.

It might be available on the BBC iPlayer. Not sure Greg, Grant and Jenny if you get this programme?

Greg

Dec 23, 2012
Thanks Penny. I can see it on BBC IPlayer but is only available online in the UK. It looks like you can download it if you install the IPlayer software which can also be downloaded. I will have a better look at it later.